Professional Development is excited to announce the External Professional Development Stipend Program. Initiated in 2023, this stipend program aims to provide some financial support for professional and administrative staff in the Division of Student Life to pursue professional development opportunities external to our division. This program is meant to be a supplemental form of support and will not be able to fully fund any particular opportunity for individual staff.
The deadline to apply for the stipend has passed.
Examples of Opportunities
- Local, State, Regional, National or International Conferences, Symposiums or Institutes offered by national governing bodies (NGBs) of functional areas in student affairs, general student affairs governing bodies (NASPA, ACPA, etc.) or associations adjacent to student affairs or functional areas. Both in-person and virtual opportunities will be considered if there are costs associated with attendance.
- Staff that are required to accrue Continuing Education Units (CEU) as part of their licensure or certification in their role in UA Student Life.
- Career development opportunities that directly correspond with employee’s role. These may be within the surrounding area of Tuscaloosa/Northport offered by external parties to Student Life (Chamber of Commerce, etc.).
- Additional professional or career development that provides staff the opportunity to gain skills and knowledge relevant to their role in Student Life.
This stipend program will be allocated in five $1,000 individual stipends with some additional funding reserved for requests that show less financial need. Stipends will be allocated via employee reimbursement after completion of opportunity. All stipend awards will be up to the discretion of the review committee and divisional leadership.
This criterion was developed to ensure eligibility of all Student Life professional and administrative staff across functional areas. Depending on the need demonstrated and requests received, additional criteria may be applied.
- Staff must be employed by the Division of Student Life at the University of Alabama.
- Employee must illustrate departmental/supervisor support for employee application.
- Employee must demonstrate financial need, including the plan to cover any costs not included in stipend or covered by department.
- Priority may be given to staff members selected to present or speak while in attendance, attending an event for the first time or those serving in a leadership role of the organization.
- Employee may not be receiving financial assistance from NGB or any external group for participation in the opportunity under review.
The application to receive the Professional Development Stipend is now live and will close on Dec. 1 for committee review. Notification and announcement of awards will be in January for stipends for the rest of the fiscal year.
If you have any questions about the Professional Development Stipend or your eligibility to receive it, please contact Laura Thomas at email@example.com