The Division of Student Life at The University of Alabama provides intentional programs and support services designed to maximize student learning. We know that students are constantly learning beyond the classroom, and our programs complement academic pursuits, support well-being, and promote student development.
To support student learning, we seek to provide transformative learning experiences by collaborating and partnering with academic departments, faculty, the community, and others. From living-learning communities to peer mentoring, from intramural athletics to career counseling, Student Life programs provide a variety of leadership and engagement opportunities that encourage students to explore their passions and develop their skills.
Mission: The Division of Student Life maximizes each UA student’s learning experiences.
Vision: To be regarded as a premier division of student life; known for our commitment to learning; recognized as collaborative, assessment driven, student-centered educators; responsible for shaping the next generation of engaged citizens.
The Division of Student Life at The University of Alabama provides experiences that advance:
- Intellectual pursuits and lifelong learning
- A community that cultivates inclusiveness, respect, integrity, and responsibility
- Personal growth, development, and leadership
- Interpersonal skills and relationships
- Opportunities for participation, contribution, and a sense of belonging
- Health, wellness, enjoyment, and fulfillment
These strategic priorities guide our work in meeting the mission and vision of the Division of Student Life. Download a copy of this file:
Strategic-Priorities-StudentLife.pdf (173 downloads)
Promote equity, inclusion, and diversity throughout the Division of Student Life
- Enhance student programming and services
- Support staff recruitment and development
- Revitalize policies, procedures, and practices
- Foster a campus environment that is safe, welcoming, and inclusive
Contribute to retention and student success through high impact practices and intentional programs, services, and initiatives
- Utilize data to identify and target programming and services to underserved student populations
- Utilize technology to identify, track and communicate student achievement
To promote and advance the Alabama Model of Student Health and Wellbeing
- Establish and sustain effective communication and promotion of the Alabama Model to the campus community and beyond
- Engage students in developing and maintaining their wellbeing in ways that nurtures academic achievement, personal growth, and encourages students’ ownership of a lifelong wellness plan
- Establish and sustain programs and services that promote and enhance student health and wellbeing
- Establish and sustain resources that serve to guide education, research, and development of best practices in collegiate health and wellbeing
Ensure suitable resources to provide excellent programs and services to UA students
- Collaborate with Academic Affairs and other campus partners to best utilize fiscal and human resources
- Identify new venue and space options for student programming and meetings
- Develop a comprehensive, competency based professional development program
- Develop framework for Student Life fundraising efforts
- Improve communication of the Student Life story internally and externally, celebrate
divisional victories and successes