Office Hours: Mary Lowrey

Office Hours provides an opportunity to introduce UA students, family, and friends to the outstanding men and women who work at The University of Alabama and work tirelessly to provide each student with a great experience at the Capstone.

This edition introduces Mary Lowrey, who is the director of career education and development at UA’s Career Center. She has worked for the University for almost 16 years, and works one-on-one with students, as well as supervising the consulting staff in the main office.

Name: Mary Lowrey

Hometown: Gaffney, S.C.

A studio headshot of Mary Lowrey
Mary Lowrey

Job Title: Director of Career Education and Development

Alma Mater: Clemson University (bachelor’s), University of Georgia (master’s)

I came to UA because… my husband and I were both working at Mississippi State, and he had a job offer from UA, and saw it as a good move professionally. We both visited Tuscaloosa and decided as a family that this would be a good move. Within about a month, the Career Center had an opening, and I was so excited because that was my background. I was very fortunate to get the position.

When I’m on campus, I… do a variety of things related to my job. My day might include meeting with a few students one-on-one, going across campus to speak to a class, meeting with a student organization that night to speak with them, or meeting with my coworkers to brainstorm a project, so there’s a lot of variety. I like to interact with people not only in my office but in other departments around campus. I really enjoy the people I work with. It’s something that I hope I always have no matter where I’m working.

During my time at UA, I’m most proud of… working with my colleagues, who are very dedicated, whether it’s the end of a career fair where it’s been all-hands-on-deck, or at the end of a week where we’ve had back-to-back appointments with students who feel pretty lost in terms of what they want to do, and I know my colleagues are committed to helping every student that walks through the door. I have a lot of pride in the work done here.

The one UA experience I will always remember will be… coming back to campus after the [April 27, 2011] tornado. Work at that point was not typical, it was more of “what can we do to help?” I remember going with colleagues, not just in the Career Center, but in the division to the call center. We divided the phone list and called students who would have been affected making sure things were ok. That was very powerful.

If a student is undecided on my career choice or path, they should… of course, come to the Career Center. I would hope they would all feel comfortable coming and saying “I do not know what I want to do.” I try to tell students all the time that that is a conversation that we have far more often than they might realize. Students can schedule appointments in Handshake to discuss anything related to career planning and job search strategies. We also offer walk-in hours each week for quick resume reviews.

To contact Mary Lowrey, email her at mlowrey@ua.edu, or call her at (205) 348-5848. You can also find her in her office in the Career Center, which is located in the Ferguson Student Center, Suite 3400.